Arqus acts in defence and promotion of:
- The core European values of democracy, the rule of law, respect for diversity and human rights, solidarity and the pursuit of peace and justice in Europe and the world.
- The core university values expressed in the Magna Charta Universitatum.
- The unique role played by universities as open places of freedom, pluralism and democratic participation, dedicated to the generation and dissemination of knowledge through research, education, innovation and culture for sustainable societal progress.
- The shared understanding of higher education as a public good and a public responsibility which serves the purposes of individual, social, economic and cultural development.
- The conviction that through alliances people and institutions are stronger in their pursuit of the common good.